Many people now consider biking as a sport, hobby, and exercise. If you're interested in biking, determine first the activity you want to do to pick the proper bike for your ride. Bikes have different features depending on how and where you need to ride them.
If you're a beginner, Roadmaster is one of the top brands most sought after in the industry. They offer affordable MTBs with impeccable performance that will surely develop your skill in mountain biking.
But if you're looking for more options, we picked three highly-rated hardtail bikes most suitable for beginners. They have quality bike components and excellent features for a budget-friendly ride. Let's take a closer inspection and see what suits your needs the most.
Top 3 Alternatives for Roadmaster Mountain Bikes
The Roadmaster brand is a popular name when it comes to entry-level bikes. But if you're one of those who find the brand still lacking despite its popularity, other bike brands may serve you better. Here are the best three mountain bikes worth considering.
Schwinn High Timber Adult Mountain Bike
- The Schwinn High Timber Mountain bike features a hardtail suspension fork which makes for challenging downhill rides. The front suspension forks give more comfort and support as you barrel through rocky mountain trails. In addition, the suspension gives you more control and helps you with sharp turns without falling off your bike.
- The Schwinn High Timber has a small 17-inch frame, making this bike excellent for young riders between 5-foot to 5'4" tall. The wheels are interchangeable, and you can install 29-inch tires on this bike if you need more height.
- The bikes have high-quality disc brakes, which are better than standard caliper brakes. It has a greater grip and stopping power for every weather situation. The disc brakes are also excellent for beginners to learn how to stop a bike. Stronger brakes may cause riders to jerk and fall off.
- Since the Schwinn High Timber is a hardtail bike, it has no rear suspension. You can still do bike stunts or jumps on this bike but expect impact whenever you do challenging tricks because there's no rear coil to dampen the vibrations.
Mongoose Hitch Men's All-Terrain Mountain Bike
- If you want something different for your first mountain bike, the Mongoose Hitch Mountain bike is for you. The bike's main feature is the 4-inch fat tire which can conquer any road, be it mountain, gravel, muddy puddles, or sandy terrains.
- The bike has a durable steel frame that can withstand heavy duty use and conquer challenging terrains. Steel frames can also withstand impacts, so they won't dent or sustain any major damage if you bump your bike.
- The bike has a seven-speed Shimano drivetrain to help you ride on different terrains smoothly and speedily. It also has a twist style shift for easy triggering of change gears. Moreover, the bike has front and rear disc brakes for excellent stopping power.
- The steel frame and the thick wheels add additional weight to the bike. It will take some time to get used to riding this bike, especially on uphill trails, because it is significantly heavier than standard mountain bikes. However, the heavyweight can help you build strength and stamina on the bright side.
Royce Union Carbon Fiber Hardtail Mountain Bike
- The Royce Union Hardtail mountain bike features an impressive carbon fiber frame. Carbon fiber is commonly used for high-end bikes that professional cyclists use for competitions. It is the lightest material on the bike frame, which helps cyclists accelerate faster.
- Carbon fiber is also low maintenance and has incredible tensile strength. This material is easy to clean, can withstand any weather condition, and is resistant to rusting. The material also lessens vibrations which helps you ride smoother and prevents dents in case of impacts.
- The bike has a Shimano SLX derailleur for smooth shifting, a Neco alloy 3-piece crankset, and an 11x42 cassette. Going on rough roads and uphill mountain trails is easy for this mountain bike. Furthermore, the bike has a Suntour XCT suspension fork to give you extra control on any terrain.
- The bike also uses high-quality materials for the bike parts. The bike has alloy rims with Kenda 8 tires. It features dual hydraulic disc brakes and WTB Volt saddle, and WTB Trail II handlebars to keep you comfortable during long rides.
- You can expect the bikes to come pre-assembled, and you can finish them yourself when they arrive. However, some users report that there are issues with the gears. This is mainly because of improper tuning. To ensure that your bike is working properly, better take it to a bike shop for assembly, especially if this is your first time owning a bike.
- The bike's price can be too expensive compared to Roadmaster adventure mountain bikes and the like. The Royce union costs around $1500 to $1800. However, this is still significantly less than premium mountain bikes that cost more than $3000. The Royce Union Hardtail mountain bike can be a huge investment for some.
So among the three bikes, which is the best for your beginner entry skills? If we've picked out the standout among these bikes, the Royce Union Hardtail bike shines. You'll feel like you're riding a premium mountain bike from the carbon fiber bike frame and high-quality components.
Its derailleur and crankset give you speed, smooth triggering, and control, perfect for any bike skill level. If you can stretch your budget a bit more, the Royce Union is the best entry bike for your mountain biking needs.
If you're on a budget, both the Mongoose Hitch and Schwinn High Timber have merits that can still make your riding enjoyable. If you want to check out the Roadmaster mountain bikes, explore our blogs for more detailed reviews. We also have safety gear, bike parts, and repair tools recommendations.