E-bikes have significantly impacted the automotive industry. They are arguably the most popular method of battery-powered transportation commercially available. Many people prefer to ride e-bikes to get around.
While many customers buy e-bikes right off the bat, others may find it more attractive to transform their existing regular bikes. If you wish to add some power to your bike riding experience but don’t want to buy an electric bike, an electric bike conversion kit might be a good option for you. This conversion kit can turn your normal bicycle into the upgrade you have been wanting. By incorporating an engine and battery into the parts of your bicycle, you can transform it into an e-bike.
Scroll deeper to find out more about the power of an e-bike conversion kit.
Understanding an E-Bike Conversion Kit
An e-bike conversion kit is an engine attached to one of your bicycle's tires. This engine is powered by a lithium-ion battery, which is much more efficient than other types of batteries. Its battery will power up the electric engine, which also recharges your electric bike.
Remember that you still have to pedal your bike even after installing a conversion kit. You need to exert effort by pedaling so the engine will start working, and for your bike to continue moving.
Before you get swept up with these very cool kits, you must keep the following three things in mind:
The electric bike conversion kit battery capacity is an essential part of an electric bike and has a massive effect on your experience. You need to understand the battery's capacity and how long it can last as you travel.
The voltage and ampere evaluations of your e-bike battery are also vital. E-bikes typically use a 12-volt battery, but some have a battery capacity ranging from 24 to 62 volts.
Regardless of your bike's weight, you might want to consider a lightweight conversion kit. Remember that the lighter the weight after setup, the more likely you will have a smooth and comfortable ride on your newly converted e-bike.
#3 Motor performance
The bike's engine is its driving force. The price of your motor is affected by its power. However, you must not let it hinder getting the best for you.
There are different conversion kits to choose from. Just ensure it's completely your preferred choice. If you decide to buy a conversion kit, making sure that it has a good battery is essential.
The Right Electric Bike Conversion Kit With Battery
In general, the e-bike conversion kits on this list include the following essential components:
- Brushless geared motor. This motor is in charge of boosting and propelling the bicycle without relying heavily on human effort. It is a mechanical device that converts electrical energy to mechanical energy. As a result, it is regarded as the most significant component of an e-bike. An e-bike cannot perform without it.
- Controller. The controller functions primarily as a current regulator. It controls the current supplied to the motor by observing the throttle position. This one causes the bike to come to a halt each time you apply the brakes. It also shuts off the engine automatically if necessary.
- Headlight. Also, a part of a conversion kit. Its primary purpose is to provide visibility in low-light scenarios, usually during early mornings and evenings.
- Battery charger. You must purchase a conversion kit that includes a portable charger. On the occasion that you'll need to charge your bicycle at your location, a portable charger is easy to transport. Remember that if you don't charge your e-bike, it turns into a regular bike.
- Throttle. Going with a conversion kit that includes a twist throttle is better. It improves your control over your converted bike.
- Battery status indicator. An important part of a convertible kit because it's in charge of displaying the amount of battery charge remaining. With this, you can determine the length of time and how much further you can still go.
- Set of wires. Wires are required for the battery to connect to the motor. It is the component that controls the induced current to your bicycle motor.
- Chain with freewheel. This device facilitates the transformation of a regular bike into an e-bike. It transmits the power from the pedal to the wheels, allowing the back wheel to rotate faster.
Here are the conversion kits that will power up your plain bike to a whole new level.
EBIKELING Waterproof E-Bike Conversion Kit
The EBIKELING conversion kit allows users to convert a regular bicycle into an electric bike easily. This kit contains all of the components needed for installation.
On top of that, you can select from the following motors:
- 500W Geared Motor
- 750W Geared Motor
- 1200W Direct Drive Motor
- 1500W Direct Drive
You can even enjoy these exciting inclusions:
- S830 LCD Display
- 1T4 Harness and Motor Cable
- 7 Speed Freewheel (Rear Kits Only)
- Brake Lever Set
- Pedal-Assist Sensor
- Thumb Throttle
- Torque Arm Set
The kit is waterproof, making it suitable for all weather conditions. It is very simple to set up.
The LCD can show important data such as battery percentage, speed, distance traveled, and error warnings for easier troubleshooting.
Because the battery is not included, you will need to find a suitable and compatible battery for this kit. Also, the tires are not included, so you’ll need to buy a different set of tires.
Schuck 48V1000W Electric Bicycle Conversion Kit
This high-quality Schuck conversion kit is a front-wheel conversion tool that allows you to attach a disc brake disk or a torque arm based on your requirements.
The kit is constructed of high-quality plastic with powerful tensile strength and abrasion resistance. It also boasts a five-speed imitation torque-assist transmission. The conversion kit includes a control function for the headlight switch.
The inner core of the plugs is occasionally damaged or bent, so you better check them right away. Also, take a look at the wirings between the controller and the motor, as they get loose.
Alomejor 36V/48V 250W/350W Brushless Motor Controller LCD Panel E-Bike Conversion Kit
The best thing about this conversion kit from Alomejor is it includes a brushless controller, which is an ideal accessory for an electric bike, scooter, or similar device. It promises a comfortable riding experience.
The conversion kit has a groove shell design that allows good heat management and high-temperature resistance. It has consistent and responsive speed control and an LCD panel for better status monitoring. The kit has a good contact between wires and interfaces that prevents malfunction over long periods of use.
The package does not include a manual or instructions.
Keep in mind that every one of these choices for converting a regular bicycle into an e-bike will add weight. An electric bike conversion kit with battery and charger is heavy, so putting an additional mechanism on a bike will alter its characteristics.
So there you have the basic things you need to know about an electric bike conversion kit. Now that you understand what they are and how they work, it’s time to start shopping around for the perfect kit for your needs.
We hope this article helped make the process a little bit easier for you. If you want to know more about bicycles, explore our other articles on CycleBuddy!